Note: Students applying to the Combined MSW/PhD program should use the PhD application checklist
Send official transcripts to:
UCLA School of Public Affairs
Department of Social Welfare Admissions
3250 Public Affairs Building, Box 951656
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1656.
1) Complete the UCLA Graduate Online Application http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gasaa/admissions/applicat.htm.
2) Send one official copy of undergraduate transcripts and graduate academic records if applicable to the address above. Unoffical copies of transcripts are to be uploaded to the UCLA Graduate online application.
4) Official copy of scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) earned within the last five years. General Test only. (Sent separately by testing center) Use department code 5001 for "social work" NOTE: Applicants who have submitted their application will be notified by the department via email when GRE test results have been received
5) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) OR International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores, if the applicant is a student whose native language is not English. (The TOEFL or IELTS) is required of all non-native speakers unless they have completed two years of university-level coursework in an English-language institution.)
6) Resume or chronological list (starting with the most recent) of all relevant employment since high school, including summer jobs and internships you consider significant. Please also include all relevant volunteer or other experience with service-oriented groups. For each job or volunteer experience, please include your title, the number of months and/or years you held the position, and the number of hours worked each week. UPLOAD ON THE UCLA GRADUATE ONLINE APPLICATION
7) Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the student’s academic and scholarly work. At least one of the references must be from a professor who has taught the student. Enter your recommenders name and email address on the UCLA Online Application. Upload instructions will be sent to them by the online system.
8) Personal Statement is submitted on the Graduate Application "Statement of Purpose" section and should respond to the following and not exceed two double spaced pages:
a) Describe the significant relationships and life experiences that have influenced your decision to seek a career in a helping profession
b) What values affected your decision to enter the social work profession? How are these values reflected in social work practice?
c) Describe your experiences with diverse populations and groups, and how those experiences have contributed to your interest in social work. Which population (defined by culture, ethnicity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, and psychological and physical functioning) would you like to serve?
d) What are your expectations of graduate education in terms of your own development? Indicate any problem or limitations that should be taken into account in planning your graduate program.
9) Professional Concepts and Goals Statement can be uploaded in the "Writing Sample" section of the UCLA Graduate Application and should respond to the following and not exceed two double spaced pages:
a) Describe your concept of social work as a profession and of the spectrum of clientele toward whom social work is oriented.
b) Specify your career objectives as a professional social worker as you now conceive them. Indicate the fields of practice in which you are interested.