The Plan of Study lays out the academic substance and path that the student intends to follow in his/her doctoral studies. The document is intended to help students define the intellectual landscape of their research and teaching; to prepare students for the Major Field Examination; and to provide students with a roadmap for the successful and timely completion of their doctoral studies.
Timeline for Completion of the Plan of Study
The Plan of Study
1. Select a Major Field. The major field is a broad area of scholarship in which students are prepared to teach a sequence of courses and to conduct research.
2. Select 3 sub-specializations that fall within the Major Field and that reflect students' interests and approaches to the field.
3. Identify the context and major debates of each of the three sub-specializations and provide a basic bibliography that covers these areas.
4. Provide a list of classes that will fulfill the course requirements in the following areas:
5. Identify strategies to prepare for the Major Field Examination. These strategies might include research papers, new and prior coursework, research projects, course outlines, etc.
6. Provide a timetable that indicates the expected date of completion of the major requirements for the degree.
7. Provide a brief paragraph describing a potential dissertation topic.