UCLA Luskin presents its 1st Capture the Flag!
Join us as we kick off this new school-wide event involving strategy, adrenaline and teamwork! Teams composed of UCLA Luskin graduate and undergraduate students will compete in an exciting game of glow-in-the-dark Capture the Flag. Bundle up, it’s going to be cold out there!
Registration opens 12/10/18 and will close 2/4/19.
*Individual $10 (advanced); $15 (at door)
Each participant must register individually. Participants will be assigned to a team.
Check-in begins at 5:30 pm at 3383 Public Affairs (Luskin Commons); Game starts at 6 pm in the Sculpture Garden. You must check in to play.
Refreshments will be provided.
*If any person has serious financial difficulties, please contact Tammy Borrero to set up an appointment.
How to play:
At the start of the game, each team will be given a side and a flag with 5 minutes to hide their flag somewhere on their respective side. At least 50% of the flag must be visible when determining a hiding spot for the flag. Your team’s goal is to find and bring the opposing team’s flag back to your side, while keeping your flag protected from the other team.
Players are free to move anywhere in the playing area (on their side or the opposing team’s side) whenever they want, but there is a catch: when you’re on the opposing team’s side, anyone from their team can tag you and send you to jail. Players can also challenge one another if they believe opposing players are attempting to cross the boundary line.
What is the jail? Can I escape?
Each team has a sectioned off area on their side called the jail, where players who are tagged must remain until rescued by a teammate. If one of your teammates is caught in jail, you can free them by running onto the opposing team’s side, making it to the jail untagged, and bringing your teammate back to your side of the boundary line. During a jailbreak, you may only bring back one of your teammates with you. In addition, both players must return to their side before attempting to take the opposing team’s flag.
- Each player will be given a glow in the dark wristband to identify your team. Players may not hide their glow stick(s) behind their backs or underneath their clothing while they play.
- No players are allowed outside of the area of play – if they exit the game bounds, they face a time penalty of 3 minutes in jail.
- No puppy guarding the flag – you may be within 5 feet of it if you believe the flag is under threat. Repeat offenders will face a time penalty of 3 minutes in jail.
- A tag is a one-hand touch from a player on the opposing team – no tackling is allowed. Once tagged, that player must immediately go to jail.
- A challenge is only allowed if two players from opposing teams stand face-to-face with each other over the boundary line – both safe on their side. The players must reach over the boundary line to grasp hands, and try to pull each other to their side. The player who gets pulled to the other side then goes to jail.
- During a jailbreak, the two players are safe from being tagged by the opposing team until the reach their territory.
- If a player breaks free from jail illegally, that player must return to jail and the opposing team chooses one of their own team members to release from jail.
- If a player finds the opposing team’s flag and is tagged while attempting to steal it; the flag must be returned to its original location.
- Players repeatedly violating the rules or endangering others will be asked to leave the game at the discretion of UCLA Luskin staff or university officials.