Why Hire UCLA Luskin?

UCLA’s Luskin School of Public Affairs graduate students are the next generation of public-minded professionals who will effect positive change in programs and organizations intended to encourage a just and sustainable society. Graduates from the Public Policy, Social Welfare, and Urban Planning departments combine hands-on internship experience with critical thinking and analysis, connecting the dots between theory and action.  Our program empowers students to pursue careers on a local, national, and global level, with an aim towards advancing public interest and empowering communities towards a better society.

Recruitment Opportunities

Post Jobs and Internships through CareerView

Register here to post your job, fellowship or internship opportunity on our job database, exclusive to Public Policy, Social Welfare, and Urban Planning students and alumni. If you are already registered and forgotten your password, click the Forgot My Password link and instructions on resetting your password will be emailed to you.

Once you have logged in, on the main screen under Shortcuts you have the option to: Create Job Posting, View Job Postings, View Applicants. To post a job, click on the Create Job Posting link, complete required fields, then click the Submit button. Your job will be reviewed by our staff and should be posted within 2-3 business days. If you have questions regarding CareerView, please email us.

Attend our annual Job and Internship Career Fair

Our career fair brings together employers from all areas of public policy, social welfare, and urban planning at the public, private, nonprofit, and government level that have job and internship opportunities. The fair is generally held during the last week of January. Read more about our 2018 Career Fair.

2019 Luskin Job and Internship Fair
Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 4-7pm, Ackerman Grand Ballroom

Registration is now open and is free for employers.  The deadline to register is January 18, 2019.

Host an Information Session

This is an opportunity to promote your organization, job opportunities, and meet qualified and targeted talent.  Please contact us to plan your event.

Employing an International Student: A Guide for Prospective Employers

The following information is designed to give prospective employers information relating to the hiring of international students in order to encourage them to include these talented graduates in their applicant pool. The most common student visas are F-1 with some students having J-1 visas. Work authorization regulations for F-1 and J-1 are different.

F-1 Visa Employment


F-1 students are eligible to obtain employment authorization for “practical training,” which is employment in their field of study.


Curricular Practical Training, or CPT, is employment authorization before graduation, which is issued by the educational institution on the Form I-20 (a U.S. government document that verifies a student’s admission to a U.S. institution). Students pursuing unpaid internships are still required to apply for CPT. More information regarding legal issues involving unpaid internships, see NACE article.

Employment period: Full time during the summer months between first and second year of study and part time during the second year

Employer’s Role: Provide students with a job offer letter

Student’s Role: Obtain work authorization from the UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars (DCISS). Since the authorization is approved by the educational institution, CPT is authorized according to the institution’s ability to approve that the off-campus internship is curricular, or directly related to the student’s field of study.

Cost and Processing Time: There is no cost to the employer. The processing and approval time for CPT is within 5 working days.


Optional Practical Training, or OPT, is employment authorization generally after graduation which is issued by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) on an Employment Authorization Document (EAD card).

Employment period: After degree completion, up to 12 months of full-time or part-time

Employer’s Role: For the first 12 months of initial OPT, the employer does not have any paperwork responsibilities beyond hiring the employee.  It is the student’s responsibility to apply for OPT, which can be granted with or without an offer of employment.

Student’s Role: Follow OPT guidelines and application process as outlined by UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars.

Cost and Processing Time: There is no cost to the employer. DCISS requires 5 business days to process the student’s OPT documentation for submission to USCIS. The USCIS processing time for OPT takes an average of 90 days. It is highly recommended that students submit their OPT application to DCISS at least 3 months before their requested OPT start date. The new employee must have the EAD card in hand to start work and the start date of OPT (as indicated on the EAD) must have been reached.


Employers can continue employing international graduates beyond the 12-month OPT period by filing a Petition for a Nonimmigrant (temporary) Worker on behalf of the employee, the most common category being the H-1B visa.  Other visa options can be found at USCIS website.

Employment period: H-1B petitions may be initially approved for three years but can be renewed for a total of six years.

Employer’s Role: The employer is responsible for filing the H-1B petition on behalf of the international employee. Many companies find that retaining an experienced immigration attorney is helpful to facilitate the process. Dashew can refer interested employers to law firms that have worked success-fully with our staff and faculty in the past.

Cost and Processing Time: Inclusive of the attorney fee and USCIS application fees, the total cost to apply for an H-1B visa is between $5,000-$7,000. The earliest date for filing a cap-subject H-1B petition is April 1. As there is high demand for H-1B visas, it is strongly recommended that applications arrive at USCIS on April 1. Approved H-1B visas become effective October 1.  The process for cap-exempt H-1B visas is slightly different.

Cap-Exempt H-1B: Only 65,000 H-1B visas are given out for candidates who have completed undergraduate degrees, and an additional 20,000 are available for those who have completed graduate degrees in the U.S. An exemption to the cap is available to U.S. employers that fall into one of the three exemption categories including:

  • Higher education institution
  • Non-profit organization associated with a higher education institution
  • Non-profit research or government research organization

Additional information regarding cap-exempt H-1B process can be found here.

J-1 Visa Employment


J-1 students are eligible to obtain employment authorization using “academic training” (AT) which is employment in their field of study.

Employment period: Academic training is available both before graduation (Pre-Completion AT) and after graduation (Post-Completion AT). Before graduation, AT is allowed part-time during the academic year and full-time during breaks, or if the student has advanced to candidacy. After graduation, AT is allowed either full-time or part time, but must be for a minimum of 20 hours per week. The total amount of time allowed depends on the duration of the exchange program up to 18 months. Students with Ph.D. degrees may be extended for a total of 36 months. Some J-1 students have a two-year home residency requirement that must be either waived or fulfilled before they can pursue other employment options such as H1-B or Permanent Residency.

Employer’s Role: Provide students with a job offer letter.  It is the student’s responsibility to apply for Academic Training prior to starting employment.

Student’s Role: Submit Academic Training requests before beginning employment and before the academic program completion date if applying for Post-Completion AT.  Students approved for academic training will receive an updated DS-2019 showing Academic Training Approval and an employment authorization letter. Both the letter and DS-2019 will show the duration of your academic training approval based on your application and job offer letter.

Cost and Processing Time: There is no cost to the employer. Dashew processes the student’s Academic Training document-ation within 10-14 working days.

FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Doesn’t an employer have to prove that international students are not taking jobs from a qualified American?

A: Not if a person is working with F-1, J-1, or H-1B status. Employers must document that they did not turn down a qualified American applicant for the position only when they wish to hire a foreign citizen on a permanent basis and sponsor them for a “green card” (permanent resident status).

Q: Can I hire international students as volunteer interns?

A: Normally, if the internship involves no form of compensation and is truly voluntary, the students may volunteer without obtaining employment authorization. If, however, the intern-ship provides a stipend or any compensation, students must obtain employment authorization prior to starting the internship.


UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars (DCISS)

UCLA Luskin Career Services