Why Hire UCLA Luskin?

UCLA’s Luskin School of Public Affairs graduate students are the next generation of public-minded professionals who will effect positive change in programs and organizations intended to encourage a just and sustainable society. Graduates from the Public Policy, Social Welfare, and Urban Planning departments combine hands-on internship experience with critical thinking and analysis, connecting the dots between theory and action.  Our program empowers students to pursue careers on a local, national, and global level, with an aim towards advancing public interest and empowering communities towards a better society.

Recruitment Opportunities

Post Jobs and Internships on the Luskin Job Board 

Our career management system is called CareerHub. Please register here to post jobs, fellowships, and internship opportunities.

If you have questions regarding CareerHub or posting, please email us.

Attend our Spring Career Fair (April 19, 2022)

This year, our fair will take place on Tuesday, April 19 from 4:00-7:00 pm. Employers from all areas of public policy, social welfare, and urban planning at the public, private, nonprofit, and government level who will have job and internship opportunities opportunities available starting in June 2022 are invited. Please log into CareerHub to register.

Host an Employer Information Session

If you would like to promote your organization, job opportunities, and meet qualified and department specific students, please contact Director of Career Services, Kevin Medina, at kmedina@luskin.ucla.edu.  You are welcome to present in-person or by Zoom.

Luskin LinkedIn Group

Join our Luskin School of Public Affairs LinkedIn Group to connect with students and alumni.

Hiring International Students for Internships and Jobs

All current graduate international graduate students are eligible to work in the United States at jobs or internships related to their program. When classes are in session, students are eligible to work up to 20 hours a week. Between quarters and during the summer, they can work full-time.

All graduates are eligible to work in the United States for 12 months post-graduation under their F-1 student visa status. You do not need to provide sponsorship.


Most students have an F-1 student visa.


Employment period: Part-time (up to 20 hours/week) during the academic year. Full-time (20+hours/week) between quarters and during the summer.

Employer’s Role: Provide students with an offer letter on company letterhead (include title of position, start and end dates, number of hours per week, pay, brief description of job duties). Sample Letter

Cost and Processing Time: There is no cost to the employer. The processing and approval time for CPT is within 5 working days.


Employment Period

Up to 12 months after degree completion

Employer’s Role

Cost and Processing Time: There is no cost to the employer. Students must apply for OPT (Optional Practical Training) to be eligible to work after graduation. USCIS (US Citizen and Immigration Services) processing time for OPT takes an average of 90 days. Therefore, it is recommended that students submit their OPT application at least 3 months before their requested start date.


Employers can continue employing international graduates beyond the 12-month OPT period by filing a Petition for a Nonimmigrant (temporary) Worker on behalf of the employee, the most common category being the H-1B visa.  Other visa options can be found at USCIS website.

Employment period

H-1B petitions may be initially approved for three years but can be renewed for a total of six years.

Employer’s Role

The employer is responsible for filing the H-1B petition on behalf of the international employee. Many companies find that retaining an immigration attorney is helpful to facilitate the process. UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars can refer interested employers to law firms that have worked success-fully with our staff and faculty in the past.

Cost and Processing Time

Inclusive of the attorney fee and USCIS application fees, the total cost to apply for an H-1B visa is between $5,000-$7,000. The earliest date for filing a cap-subject H-1B petition is April 1. As there is high demand for H-1B visas, it is strongly recommended that applications arrive at USCIS on April 1. Approved H-1B visas become effective October 1.  The process for cap-exempt H-1B visas is slightly different.

Cap-Exempt H-1B: Only 65,000 H-1B visas are given out for candidates who have completed undergraduate degrees, and an additional 20,000 are available for those who have completed graduate degrees in the U.S. An exemption to the cap is available to U.S. employers that fall into one of the three exemption categories including:

  • Higher education institution
  • Non-profit organization associated with a higher education institution
  • Non-profit research or government research organization

Additional information regarding cap-exempt H-1B process can be found here.


J-1 students are eligible to obtain employment authorization using “academic training” (AT) which is employment in their field of study.

Employment period: Academic training is available both before graduation (Pre-Completion AT) and after graduation (Post-Completion AT). Before graduation, AT is allowed part-time during the academic year and full-time during breaks, or if the student has advanced to candidacy. After graduation, AT is allowed either full-time or part time, but must be for a minimum of 20 hours per week. The total amount of time allowed depends on the duration of the exchange program up to 18 months. Students with Ph.D. degrees may be extended for a total of 36 months. Some J-1 students have a two-year home residency requirement that must be either waived or fulfilled before they can pursue other employment options such as H1-B or Permanent Residency.

Employer’s Role: Provide students with a job offer letter.  It is the student’s responsibility to apply for Academic Training prior to starting employment.

Student’s Role: Submit Academic Training requests before beginning employment and before the academic program completion date if applying for Post-Completion AT.  Students approved for academic training will receive an updated DS-2019 showing Academic Training Approval and an employment authorization letter. Both the letter and DS-2019 will show the duration of your academic training approval based on your application and job offer letter.

Cost and Processing Time: There is no cost to the employer. Dashew processes the student’s Academic Training documentation within 10-14 working days.

Q: Doesn’t an employer have to prove that international students are not taking jobs from a qualified American?

A: Not if a person is working with F-1, J-1, or H-1B status. Employers must document that they did not turn down a qualified American applicant for the position only when they wish to hire a foreign citizen on a permanent basis and sponsor them for a “green card” (permanent resident status).

Q: Can I hire international students as volunteer interns?

A: Normally, if the internship involves no form of compensation and is truly voluntary, the students may volunteer without obtaining employment authorization. If, however, the internship provides a stipend or any compensation, students must obtain employment authorization prior to starting the internship.

UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars (DCISS)

UCLA Luskin Career Services