LUSKIN SUMMIT 2022: Research in Action
This is the last of three sessions being organized by Global Public Affairs at UCLA Luskin as a Global Mini-Summit in cooperation with the UCLA International Institute to focus on policy issues from an international perspective.
FRIDAY, APRIL 1
Reimagining Gender Equality Through Sport
Sport is known to improve physical and mental health, promote well-being, and advance economic and societal goals. Sport for Development (S4D) is the use of sport to achieve these objectives at the individual, community, national and international levels, and the power of sport to address gender inequality has gained recent recognition. This online session led by professor Manisha Shah of the Global Lab for Research in Action at UCLA Luskin will feature conversations and a brief Q&A about both the global landscape of S4D and its implications for the United States. Panelists will discuss emerging research that demonstrates how sport can be used to advance gender justice around the world, offering lessons not only relevant to practitioners and policymakers, but also to parents, teachers and even adolescents themselves.
- Professor Manisha Shah, the Franklin D. Gilliam, Jr. chair at UCLA Luskin; co-founder and faculty director of Global Lab for Research in Action
- Stephen Commins, lecturer in urban planning and associate director for Global Public Affairs at the Luskin School
- Jeff DeCelles, technical director, Curriculum & Training, Grassroot Soccer
- Julia Menefield Lankford, director of operations, Laureus Sport for Good Foundation of America
- Meredith Whitley, associate professor, co-editor, Adelphi University & Journal of Sport for Development
- Stephen Cheung, LAEDC chief operating officer & president World Trade Center LA; Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation & LA World Trade Center
Also in the Luskin Summit
April 22: Presentation by Zev Yaroslavsky of the Luskin School about the results of the seventh annual Quality of Life Index.
- Details about participants in the various panel discussions are being released as sessions draw near and will also be posted on the Summit registration page.
- All events will allow for remote access. Any in-person presentations that occur will be planned in full accordance with the latest UCLA and Los Angeles County COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- Visit the LUSKIN SUMMIT LANDING PAGE for more information on future Summit sessions.