Why Public Policy at UCLA?
Application Process Timeline
- UCLA Graduate Division Online Application
- Application Fee
- Statement of Purpose – Note that this may be up to 800 words, even though the Graduate Application says 500.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- GRE Scores
- TOEFL or IELTS Scores (International Students)
- Personal History Statement – This should be limited to 500 words
- GPA Worksheet
- Quantitative Training Form
- Policy Interest Form
Funding Your MPP Degree
View or download a funding overview (PDF).
Peer Application Advising Program
PPDE is committed to ensuring that the student community of the Master of Public Policy (MPP) program at the Luskin School of Public Affairs reflects the diversity of backgrounds and experiences of Los Angeles and the State of California. PPDE is dedicated to increasing diversity and inclusion within the student community, especially focusing on increasing the representation of underrepresented communities across a spectrum of markers of difference: race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, ability, socioeconomic status, citizenship status, and religious belief. We believe that as a master’s program at a public institution, cohorts of students should reflect the diversity of the city, state, and nation that UCLA was created to serve. To achieve this goal, PPDE recruits current UCLA Luskin MPP students to guide prospective applicants through the graduate application process.
Peer Advisors share advice on the application process, provide feedback on Statement of Purpose and UCLA Diversity Fellowship essays, and answer general questions about Luskin and the public policy field. We gladly provide our services to ALL who are interested and highly encourage individuals from underrepresented backgrounds (students of color, LGBTQ-identifying, low-income, different abilities, etc.) to reach out to our team.
Disclaimer: Please be advised that the PPDE Peer Advising Program does not, in any way, guarantee admission to the UCLA Luskin MPP program. Current Luskin MPP students provide advice and feedback on the admission essays and answer general questions about Luskin to the best of their knowledge. We are not trained by, nor do we represent, in any way, the admissions committee or the Luskin MPP Administration. Comments and advice are purely to help prospective applicants better communicate their skills and strengths in the admission essays and to make a more informed decision about the public policy graduate program.
Program Structure and Process
For prospective applicants who want to participate, please follow the instructions below.
- Complete the PPDE Peer Application Advising Survey Form
- If you would like assistance with your admission essays, send Statement of Purpose (SOP) and UCLA Fellowship essays (if applying) to firstname.lastname@example.org as a Word document. If you have not started the essays, please attached a document with brainstormed ideas (i.e. outline). Please save the documents in the following format: “FullName_SOP.doc” and “FullName_UCLAFellowship.doc”
- Examples: “JoeBruin_SOP.doc” and “JoeBruin_UCLAFellowship.doc”
- Include in the subject line of your email, “PPDE Peer Advising: Last Name, First Name”
- If you have additional questions or concerns about the curriculum, the public policy degree, or student life at Luskin (or if you just want to introduce yourself!), include it in the body of the email along with your SOP and Fellowship statements.
- Peer Application Advising Program Form is accepted on a rolling basis.
Events & Services
MPP Recruitment & Admissions Events
Are you thinking about applying to the MPP program? Join us at any of our online events below!
Funding Your UCLA Graduate Experience July 30th 6-7:30pm (PST): For more information & RSVP click HERE
UCLA MPP Admissions Webinar (International Students Only), August 4th 6-7:30pm (PST): For more information & RSVP click HERE
Careers in Public Policy Panel, August 11th, 6-7:30pm (PST): For more information & RSVP click HERE
Brainstorm with UCLA: Statement of Purpose, August 18th 6-7:30pm (PST): For more information & RSVP click HERE
MPP Application Services
In order to assist prospective students with our application process, UCLA’s Master of Public Policy department is providing the following services to applicants:
- Statement of Purpose Review
- Personal Statement Review
- Resume Review
- Transcript Evaluation (includes Jr./Sr. GPA worksheet)
To submit a request for any of these services, please fill out the UCLA MPP Application Services form.
*Please make sure that you already have a draft for all of the documents you would like to receive feedback when you fill out the application services form.*
Luskin Diversity Recruitment Fair
Last year’s fair was held on November 23, 2019. Come back in July for the 2020 date.
The UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs is hosting its annual Diversity Recruitment Fair! Aimed at ensuring equitable recruitment practices across the school’s three departments, the fair will host speakers and workshops focusing on the intersections of Public Policy, Social Welfare, and Urban Planning with social justice missions. Participants will spend the day hearing from department chairs, guest speakers, alumni, current students, and staff as they speak about diversity at Luskin and how our graduate programs lead to careers in public service and social justice. The event is free and will also include application and fellowship workshops, a campus tour, and general program information.
Connect With Us
Talk to an Admissions Officer
Contact a Current Student
Have additional questions about being a student in the MPP program? Feel free to contact the department’s Outreach Coordinator and a current MPP student at email@example.com.
Follow Us on Instagram
Follow us here.