Why Public Policy at UCLA?
Application Process Timeline
- UCLA Graduate Division Online Application
- Application Fee
- Statement of Purpose – Note that this may be up to 800 words, even though the Graduate Application says 500.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Recommended but not required: GRE Scores
- TOEFL or IELTS Scores (International Students)
- Personal History Statement – This should be limited to 500 words
- GPA Worksheet
- Academic Preparation Form
- Policy Interest Form
Funding Your MPP Degree
View or download a funding overview (PDF).
Events & Services
MPP Recruitment & Admissions Events
Please check back in Fall 2021 for a schedule of admissions and recruitment events. We look forward to connecting with you later this year!
MPP Application Services
*We will begin offering services for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle in August 2021*
To assist prospective students with our application process, UCLA’s Master of Public Policy department is providing the following services to applicants:
- Statement of Purpose Review
- Personal Statement Review
- Resume Review
- Transcript Evaluation (includes Jr./Sr. GPA worksheet)
To submit a request for any of these services, please fill out the UCLA MPP Application Services form. (Not accepting until August 2021)
*Please make sure that you already have a draft for all of the documents you would like to receive feedback on when you fill out the application services form.*
MPP Diversity Summit: Amplifying Intersectional Voices & Ideas in Public Policy
*Information about the 2021 MPP Diversity Summit will be available in August 2021*
PPDE Peer Advising Application Program--Enrollment Closed
*Enrollment will open in October 2021*
PPDE is committed to ensuring that the student community of the Master of Public Policy (MPP) program at the Luskin School of Public Affairs reflects the diversity of backgrounds and experiences of Los Angeles and the State of California. PPDE is dedicated to increasing diversity and inclusion within the student community, especially focusing on increasing the representation of underrepresented communities across a spectrum of markers of difference: race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, ability, socioeconomic status, citizenship status, and religious belief. We believe that as a master’s program at a public institution, cohorts of students should reflect the diversity of the city, state, and nation that UCLA was created to serve. To achieve this goal, PPDE recruits current UCLA Luskin MPP students to guide prospective applicants through the graduate application process.
Peer Advisors share advice on the application process, provide feedback on Statement of Purpose and UCLA Diversity Fellowship essays, and answer general questions about Luskin and the public policy field. We gladly provide our services to ALL who are interested and highly encourage individuals from underrepresented backgrounds (students of color, LGBTQ-identifying, low-income, different abilities, etc.) to reach out to our team.
Disclaimer: Please be advised that the PPDE Peer Advising Program does not, in any way, guarantee admission to the UCLA Luskin MPP program. Current Luskin MPP students provide advice and feedback on the admission essays and answer general questions about Luskin to the best of their knowledge. We are not trained by, nor do we represent, in any way, the admissions committee or the Luskin MPP Administration. Comments and advice are purely to help prospective applicants better communicate their skills and strengths in the admission essays and to make a more informed decision about the public policy graduate program.
Monday, October 5th-Sunday, October 18th- Program Enrollment
November 2nd: Program Acceptance Notification and Pairing of Peer Advisor
November 2nd-January 10, 2021: Length of Program
Program Structure and Process
For prospective applicants who want to participate, please follow the instructions below.
- Complete the PPDE Peer Application Advising Registration Form
- If you would like assistance with your admission essays, send Statement of Purpose (SOP) and UCLA Fellowship essays (if applying) to firstname.lastname@example.org as a Word document. If you have not started the essays, please attached a document with brainstormed ideas (i.e. outline). Please save the documents in the following format: “FullName_SOP.doc” and “FullName_UCLAFellowship.doc”
- Examples: “JoeBruin_SOP.doc” and “JoeBruin_UCLAFellowship.doc”
- Include in the subject line of your email, “PPDE Peer Advising: Last Name, First Name”
- If you have additional questions or concerns about the curriculum, the public policy degree, or student life at Luskin (or if you just want to introduce yourself!), include it in the body of the email along with your SOP and Fellowship statements.
- Peer Application Advising Program Form is accepted on a rolling basis.
Connect With Us
Talk to an Admissions Officer
Contact a Current Student
Have additional questions about being a student in the MPP program? Feel free to contact the department’s Outreach Coordinator and a current MPP student at email@example.com.
Follow Us on Instagram
Follow us here.