The Luskin Public Affairs Undergraduate Program provides academic counseling services to undergraduate students pursuing the B.A. in Public Affairs, Gerontology minor, Public Affairs minor, and Urban and Regional Studies minor. Our regular business hours are Monday through Friday at 9am-4pm (except University holidays).
All students visiting the Public Affairs Building and the Public Affairs Undergraduate Program must follow the COVID-19 safety guidelines. To ensure the safety of our community, and to create a space that is accessible to all students, staff, and faculty, we strongly encourage you to wear a face mask when interacting with our team.
Fall 2022 Office Hours
During Fall 2022, the Public Affairs Undergraduate Program Office will be open for in-person and remote services Monday through Thursday at 9am-4pm (except University holidays), and remote-only services Fridays at 9am-4pm (except University holidays). Luskin counselors are available to meet with students for in-person or remote appointments. Please note that we are unable to accommodate same-day appointments.
Our office will be closed on the dates listed below:
- Friday, November 11, 2022 in observance of the Veterans Day Holiday
- Thursday & Friday, November 24-25, 2022 in observance of the Thanksgiving Day break
The Luskin School of Public Affairs Undergraduate Program team believes that academic counseling is a partnership between counselors and the student. Luskin undergraduate academic counselors will collaborate with students to ensure they are completing all degree requirements and maximizing their time at UCLA.
Academic counselors support students by:
- Collaboratively designing a strategic degree plan that accounts for the Public Affairs major requirements, Luskin minor requirements, double majors, minors outsider of Luskin, and GE and degree requirements.
- Discussing the student’s personal academic, and professional goals, and outlining a plan to achieve those goals.
- Challenging the student to reflect on their personal development and wellbeing.
- Encouraging the student’s utilization of resources, exploration of opportunities for involvement, and engagement in leadership and teamwork experiences.
- Discussion difficult situations or academic concerns, and strategies on how to manage them.
In turn, we expect students to take charge of their UCLA journey by proactively reaching out when they have questions or need help, and be open and honest with us.
April Michelle Enriquez
Public Affairs Building
Director of Administration and Experiential Learning
Public Affairs Building
Capstone Advisor & Coordinator
Public Affairs Building
Director of Student Services
Public Affairs Building
Scheduled 30-Minute Appointments
Luskin Undergraduate Academic Counselors are available to meet with you during scheduled 30-minute appointments. Online (Zoom) and in-person appointments are available Monday through Friday from 9:00am – 4:00pm (except University holidays).
To schedule an appointment, submit your appointment request via MyUCLA Message Center (select topic: Public Affairs / Appointments). Be sure to include your availability and the topics you want to discuss during your appointment.
Please note that students who request an in-person appointment with a Luskin undergraduate academic counselor are required to comply with the following:
- Upon arrival at the Public Affairs Undergraduate Program office, check-in at 3343 Public Affairs Building. The check-in process requires you to check-in with your Bruin Card or state issued ID.
- Be compliant with the UCLA COVID Protocol as outlined in the UCLA COVID-19 Resources website https://covid-19.ucla.edu.
Additionally, to create a safe and accessible space for students and staff, we strongly encourage you to wear a face mask while in the Public Affairs Building and for the duration of your scheduled appointment.
Luskin Undergraduate Academic Counselors are available to meet with students during scheduled drop-in counseling sessions each quarter. Drop-in counseling sessions are intended to be 15-minute sessions where you can:
- Review and discuss your quarterly enrollment
- Complete a degree check to ensure you are on-track to graduate
- Discuss questions or concerns about the capstone requirement
- Review and discuss the requirements for the Luskin minors (Public Affairs, Gerontology, Urban and Regional Studies)
- Discuss the petition process for declaring a double major or minor, course substitutions, study list changes, unit max, and policy exceptions
Fall 2022 Drop-in Counseling Schedule:
The Luskin Undergraduate Program academic counselors are hosting drop-in counseling hours via Zoom on the dates/times listed below. Please note that these drop-in hours are intended for continuing UCLA students, not for prospective UCLA students.
- Drop-in Counseling Session 1: Monday, September 26, 2022 at 1pm-3pm
- Drop-in Counseling Session 2: Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 3pm-5pm
- Drop-in Counseling Session 3: Monday, October 3, 2022 at 10am-12pm
Access the drop-in counseling session at the Zoom link below:
- Zoom Meeting: https://ucla.zoom.us/j/97969065285
- Meeting ID: 979 6906 5285
Please have your Bruin Card ready. Don’t be alarmed if you experience a short wait in the Zoom lobby. We will assist students in the order they join the drop-in counseling session. You are welcome to join any drop-in counseling session based on availability.
The UCLA Public Affairs Undergraduate Program uses MyUCLA Message Center to correspond with current students as well as potential applicants. The Message Center has replaced email for student/applicant communication with the Public Affairs Undergraduate Program Office.
- Current Students and those with a UCLA logon ID (UCLA Students may also access the Message Center via MyUCLA)
- Potential Applicants and those without a UCLA Logon ID
When contacting the Luskin Undergraduate Program Office via MyUCLA Message Center, please use the appropriate message queue:
- Luskin SPA Admission Inquiry – for all questions about admission to the Public Affairs major
- Luskin SPA Petitions & Forms – to submit petitions or forms to the Luskin Undergraduate Student Services Office
- Luskin SPA Minors – for all inquiries related to the Gerontology minor, Public Affairs minor, or Urban and Regional Studies minor
- Luskin SPA Enrollment – for questions related to enrollment, PTE requests, and enrollment restrictions for lower division (1-99) and upper division (100-199) Public Affairs, Gerontology, Public Policy, Social Welfare, and Urban Planning courses
- Luskin SPA Commencement – for questions about the Luskin undergraduate commencement ceremony and graduation requirements for Public Affairs majors
- Luskin SPA Appointment Request – to request an appointment with a Luskin undergraduate academic counselor
- Luskin SPA Experiential Learning – for questions related to the Public Affairs experiential learning capstone requirement
- Luskin SPA Main Queue – for all other questions not covered by the message queues listed above
For those who are unable to use Message Center, we encourage you to email or call us!
Luskin School of Public Affairs
University of California Los Angeles
3250 Public Affairs Building, Suite 3343
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1656
Students are encouraged to stay connected with the Luskin Public Affairs Undergraduate Program by joining our mailing listserv and following us on social media.
The weekly electronic Luskin Undergraduate Newsletter features:
- Luskin Undergraduate Opportunities
- General UCLA Events & Opportunities
- Internship, Scholarship, Job, and Graduate School Opportunities,
Students who declare the Public Affairs Pre-Major, Major, or Luskin Minors are automatically added to the Luskin Undergraduate listserv and receive the weekly electronic newsletter. The newsletter is emailed every Tuesday afternoon.
Follow the Luskin School of Public Affairs Undergraduate Program on social media (@UCLALuskinUG) to:
- read about students’ experiences in the Public Affairs major and Luskin minors,
- access opportunities available to Public Affairs majors and Luskin minors,
- learn about UCLA resources that support your academic success, career readiness, and personal wellbeing, and
- receive academic policy reminders.
Tag us using #UCLALuskinUG and #UCLALuskin for an opportunity to be featured in our Instagram stories!
Newsletter and social media feature requests: If you are interested in featuring your program in the Luskin Undergraduate Newsletter or in the Public Affairs Undergraduate Program social media, please submit your request and content to email@example.com.