Since you do not know where you will be when an emergency occurs, individuals should consider having at least three (3) emergency supply kits: one full kit at home and smaller portable kits in their workplace and vehicle.
Your office kit should contain essential food, water and supplies for at least three days and you need to be prepared to shelter at work for at least 24 hours. Make sure you have food and water and other necessities like medicines in your kit. Also, be sure to have comfortable walking shoes at your workplace in case an evacuation requires walking long distances.
Your kit should also be in one container and ready to “grab and go” in case you are evacuated from your workplace.
Emergency office kits should include:
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- First aid kit and necessary medications in case you are away from home for a prolonged time
- Food items containing protein such as nuts and energy bars; canned fruit and a portable can opener
- AM/FM radio to listen to traffic reports and emergency messages
- Clothes, gloves, hat, sturdy boots, jacket and an extra change of clothes
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- A fully-charged cell phone, extra battery and phone charger